- Flee, Be Silent, Pray: An Anxious Evangelical Finds Peace with God through Contemplative Prayer by Ed Cyzewski (4/5) – This book mainly talks about contemplative prayer. However, even after reading this book I don’t grasp the concept. However, the author does talk about centering prayer. That means when your thoughts get distracted you keep going back to a word like Jesus, Beloved, or Mercy. That was such good information to read.
Still Life: A Memoir of Living Fully with Depression by Gillian M. (4/5) – The author of the book describes her life with depression. She said she excluded herself from the family, slept a lot, and refused to watch the kids or do chores. She had a lot of mentors that were in her life. I resonated with this book so much. My favorite quote was ” Because life still depression is still life”.
- Holy Listening: The Art of Spiritual Direction by Margaret Guenther (4/5) – Spiritual Direction was something brought up in the Episcopal church. Recently I have been jealous of the sacramental practices in the Catholic church ( even though I am not Catholic). The main purpose of spiritual direction is holy/attentive listening and having a loving presence. I am glad this practice is now being introduced in the Evangelical church. Spiritual Directors should be like a teacher, host, and midwife. These topics go in-depth in this book. This book is written mainly intended for Spiritual Directors. However, directees will benefit from it as well. I can’t wait until I find a Spiritual Director compatible with me.
- Brene Brown: The Call To Courage ( 4/5) – I rejoined Netflix just to see this movie. It is her speaking about courage, vulnerability and shame. It was very insightful The only reason I gave it a four star and not a five star is because she went off on a tangent sometimes.
- Friends Make a Pact To Retire and Die Together
- I Won’t Apologize for Having Fun While Chronically ILL
- Thieves stole $9 from a girl’s lemonade stand for charity. Police and neighbors rallied to give her more than $300
- A Man Who Wrote a Message in a Bottle 50 Years Ago Has Been Found
- Man who was once in foster care adopts 3 children of his own