Today is the beginning of national suicide prevention week. I thought it was only a prevention day on September 10. However, I am glad it is a whole week it is something we need to talk about. I wanted to give some tips on what to do when you are struggling.
- Tell the people who are closest to you about your struggles.
- Don’t tell everybody. Not everyone wants to hear your sob story.
- Paint, making pottery, or anything artistic. Creating is good for the soul.
- Put your self first.
- Don’t neglect your spiritual health. ( Read the Bible, pray, and journal)
- Spend time in nature.
- Serve others. ( Volunteer or do random acts of kindness)
- See a psychiatrist or something similar.
- Go to counseling. Try several counselors. One might not be the best fit for you.
- Find a hobby.
- Be your own encourager and your own advocate.
- Do NOT isolate yourself. We were created for community.
- Remember you matter and you belong.
- Call the national suicide hotline. 1-800-273- 8255
- Don’t give up hope.
What are some other ideas?